Thursday 18 September 2014

An all night-er

Last night, from 7pm until 3am, I was writing an essay that I should have not left until the last minute. That is correct, for eight hours non-stop, I was researching, writing and completely absorbed in my history essay, running on only a cup of tea and a really weird-nerd-like adrenaline rush. My floor was covered in colourful sticky notes, print outs of readings, ripped out pages of notes about the different readings, scribbled lecture notes I've taken this semester, a printed out version of my bibliography and essay structures that I had previously noted down, heaps of documents open on my laptop, a previous essay with tutor's feedback to see how to improve, and me sitting on the floor in the middle of it all in a desperate attempt to put these hundreds of notes together to create a coherent essay... or as coherent as I could that late at night/ early in the morning. And you know what, I really enjoyed those hours, I loved researching and making all these connections... I am really really really weird.


This all night-er has taught me not just about the subject I'm studying, but I learnt a lot about myself, which is: I need to procrastinate in order to feel that rush and urgency, because then I have complete motivation in trying to get things done on the last minute. It also confirmed that I am a really visual and spacial learner, because I need all the scattered random ramblings that I have in my mind to become a scatter of random scribblings all over the floor. I learn best when I have everything laid out on the floor, so everything is around me and I can see everything and add to anything at any given moment in time. I have a really illogical and abstract mind, so I need absolutely everything out, because I might all of a sudden have a thought about something completely unrelated to whatever I'm working on in that moment, and that thought has something to do with another part of my essay/ assignment/ area of study- because everything is important. So basically, my bedroom floor had become an explosion of my brain pretty much.

Last year was my last year of high school, and during the end of year exam preparation period, I was seriously considering taking my bed out of my room so I would have more floor space, but instead, I just invaded the rest of the house with notes- there was hardly any space to actually walk. It is a pretty crazy way to study, but I am a "floor learner" (if that actually is a thing).

(I would not be surprised if my room was like this)
I'm sorry if this post makes no sense whatsoever, because the consequence to this weird way of essay writing, is that it results to an all night-er and I have had about only three hours sleep in the past two days... I just have to say, I hope I do well after all that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment